How Do I Clean My Fountain?
- Unplug the fountain.
- Dump the water.
- Disassemble the fountain.
- The fountain is dishwasher safe except for the motor and cord. Either wash in the top rack of your dishwasher or hand-wash these parts. If your dishwasher runs too hot, we recommend hand-washing. When hand-washing, use a bottle brush, aquarium brush, soft sponge, or brushes included in the Fountain Cleaning Kit and dish soap. (Please note: if you have the Avalon or
- Pagoda fountains, the filter housing is hand wash only. It is not dishwasher safe.)
- Remove the motor from the fountain.
- Lift the impeller (looks like a small white propeller) out of the motor. There may be a faceplate cover over the impeller than can be pulled up with a coin or fingernail. Wash the impeller in soapy water, removing hair and other gunk that has collected around it.
- Pour soapy water inside the motor cavity and clean with a small round brush like the one found in the Fountain Cleaning Kit. A cotton swab or small toothbrush might work too, or anything that can reach all the way inside of the cavity.
- Rinse all parts well before returning to the fountain.
- Re-assemble fountain, replacing the filter and pre-filter as needed.
- Place the fountain where desired. Fill with water. Re-plug in fountain.
Check out the video below on how to clean the Petsafe Drinkwell Fountain